What You Should Know About Periodontal Disease?
Gums are an essential part of our mouth, which keeps the teeth solid and still. They provide biting strength, toughness, and reliance on the teeth. So, it becomes necessary to keep them healthy and safe; if not, it can lead to permanent tooth loss. In this article, we will examine what periodontal Disease is: its stages, preventions, and possible treatment. So read till the end to know, and you can contact Emergency Walk In Dentist Near Me in Houston, TX, for a personalized checkup.
What is Periodontal Disease?
The Disease that hampers the soft tissues of the gums, which are responsible for holding the teeth, is known as Periodontal Disease. It is primarily the result of mediocre oral hygiene and unhealthy intake of tobacco and smoking.
What are the reasons behind Periodontal Disease?
It is believed that Periodontal Disease occurs due to genetic reasons. It is true to some extent, but it is not the only reason. Following are some other reasons behind Periodontal Disease:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Poorly fitted bridges
- Autoimmune diseases like AIDS, scleroderma, lupus, and Crohn’s Disease.
- Crooked teeth
- Defectiveness of filling with time
- Dry mouth due to certain course of medication
So, these were some of the major reasons behind Periodontal Disease. If you seek proper treatment, visit periodontal maintenance in Houston, TX.
What are the stages of periodontal Disease?
Periodontal Disease consists of four major stages. Below, we have listed periodontal disease stages chronologically:
- Gingivitis: This is the foremost phase of Periodontal Disease. No bone loss happens in this stage, but bleeding occurs when you brush or floss. Also, redness and puffiness are visible in the gums.
- Mild periodontitis: In this stage, bacteria and plaque start to hide in the pockets due to bacteria’s spreading beneath your gums. This affects your gums, and the gums begin to create some distance from the teeth.
- Moderate periodontitis: This stage witnesses bad breathing, and pus (infection) starts to surround your gum line. If not detected at this time, then it will crumble bone, soft tissues, and ligaments that support your teeth. In some cases, pain will also be experienced.
- Advanced periodontitis: This is the final step of periodontal Disease. In this stage, the teeth will lose their strength and fall out in the end.
What are some solutions for Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal Disease can be cured if detected at early stages. Following are some treatments for Periodontal Disease:
- Gum grafting: This treatment helps in recovering lost gum through gum graft surgery. In this, thickness is added in the gum line of the teeth roots, which are exposed.
- Bone grafting: It is done on the bone which is decayed due to gum disease. It replaces that bone with dental bone grafting.
- LANAP (Laser-assisted new attachment procedure): In this treatment, the laser is used to target infected gums, leaving out the healthy gums. If you need laser treatment, visit Laser Gum Treatment in Houston, TX.
Periodontal Disease can be quite harmful to your oral health if not detected and treated on time. In this article, we have provided you with all the necessary information that you be helpful in spotting, preventing, and treating Periodontal Disease. If you need more assistance, then visit Emergency Dentist Office Near Me in Houston, TX.