How Deadly Periodontal Disease Can Be?
There is a considerable role of your gums in enhancing your smile. Their proper proportion in accordance with teeth is a determining factor in defining the quality of your smile. So, if anything happens to them, it hampers your smile. In this article, you will learn about Periodontal Disease, which can damage your smile. Also, you will know about its causes, risk factors, treatment, and many more. So, if you want to know about Periodontal Disease, read this article till the end, and if you need a personalized session, contact a dentist midtown houston.
Periodontal Disease: What It Is, And What Are Major Reasons Behind It?
Periodontal Disease or gum disease refers to an oral disease in tissues of the gums and the bone supporting the teeth due to infection and inflammation. It is commonly believed that genetics is the reason behind it, but it is not the whole truth. Genetics is one of the reasons behind gum disease, but there are other reasons also, such as:
- Dry mouth due to a specific course of medication
- Poorly fitted bridges
- Defectiveness of filling with time
- Poor oral hygiene
- Crooked teeth
- Intake of tobacco or smoking
- Autoimmune diseases like AIDS, scleroderma, lupus, and Crohn’s Disease
- Diabetic issues
These were some major reasons behind Periodontal Disease. If you wish to know more, consult a downtown dentist.
Stages of Periodontal Disease.
Periodontal Disease consists of four stages. The following are the four main stages of Periodontal Disease:
- Gingivitis: The first and the only stage at which Periodontal Disease can be reversed. In this stage, you will experience bad breathing on some occasions. Also, gums will sometimes bleed and get red while brushing or flossing. This occurs because of the deposition of plaque around the teeth.
- Mild periodontitis: In this stage, the gum disease is not reversible but can be managed. At the Mild peridontitis stage, the bone-destroying process begins due to the spreading of infection in bones as the bacteria become more aggressive. And in this stage, maintaining proper oral health will not be enough.
- Moderate periodontitis: At this stage, the intensity of bad breathing will increase, and around the gum line, pus (infection) will be evident. The crumbling of bones, soft tissues, and ligaments that support your teeth will start to occur, and a little pain will be experienced in some cases.
- Advanced periodontitis: This is the last of four stages. In this stage, cold sensitivity, painful chewing, swollen gums, severe halitosis (bad breath), loosening of teeth, ooze pus, and severe bone loss will be evident. This stage requires surgery to clean deep pockets filled with bacteria.
These were the major stages of gum disease. If you need more information and treatment regarding the issue, contact downtown dental.
By What Ways Can Periodontal Disease Be Treated?
The following listed are some of the ways by which Periodontal Disease can be treated:
- Guided tissue regeneration (GTR)
- Gum grafting
- Scaling and root planing
- Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- LANAP (Laser-assisted new attachment procedure)
- Pocket reduction surgery
If you need any of the above treatments for periodontal disease, contact the midtown dental center.
Periodontal disease can lead to total teeth loss if not detected and treated on time. This article has provided all the necessary information, such as what it is, its major cause, stages, and best treatment, which will be useful if you have gum disease. You can schedule an appointment at midtown dental care for a personalized session.